Annual 10in10 Challenge
Saturday 18th June 2022
All information to be updated according to Covid Safety rules.
Distance: 26km / 16.1 miles
Start/Finish: Swinside Inn, Newlands Valley
This year we will be heading over Causey Pike, Sail, Crag Hill, Wandope, Whiteless Pike, High Snockrigg, Robinson, Dale Head, High Spy, Maiden Moor.
You will register between 6.30 am and 9.00 am at the Swinside Inn, here you will be given your number and a waterproof map. You must arrive with your team at the Swinside Inn at your allocated check in time.
Please note – for the sake of participant and Marshal safety there will be a strict cut-off point at Buttermere village at 13:00 hrs (1pm). Any teams or individuals who do not make this time will be instructed to leave the event at this point. If you anticipate taking longer to complete the route, it is strongly advisable to register and start early so that you make good progress on route.
You can download the GPX of the route here. It’s best to right click and save as to download it. If you are having issues trying to download the GPX file, try using this ZIP version instead it’s a zipped up version of that file.
We want you to get the most out of the event, so here’s a few things you will need to know to help your day run smoother. Please take special note of the essential kit list and come fully prepared for all weather possibilities!
All challenges are open to anyone over the age of 16. (Please note that 16 year olds must be accompanied by an adult).
Your entry fee is a booking and administration charge.
- 10in10 £38 - includes a Berghaus Performance 10in10 t-shirt.
- 5in5 £38 - includes a Berghaus Performance 10in10 t-shirt. It is really important that you let us know what size t-shirt you want. Ladies - size S, M, L, Men - S, M, L,
- Everyday 10in10 - £25 - includes a 10in10 Buff
- No Cure Always Hope Ultra Run - £30 - includes a 10in10 Buff
All registration fees, from 10in10, 5in5 and our other related events, are committed to our administration and organisation costs. All funds raised by participants are passed directly to the MS Society and other partner charities, that we may choose to work with.
Berghaus will be providing exclusive 10in10 branded baselayers for all entrants. (not the colours shown Ladies – size S,M,L,XL Men – size S, M, L, XL.
Registration is open from 6.30 am to 9.00 am at the Swinside Inn in the Newlands Valley.
Runners - Please start after 9am (this gives us time to get the marshals in place on the peaks!). Thanks for your understanding! Once you have registered and your team is ready, you can make your way to the start where we will let you know when you can set off.
This is the ESSENTIAL kit list for both events; every member taking part in either event must carry their own full and complete kit. Please come fully prepared for all weather possibilities!
- Walking boots/shoes - broken in and ready to use
- Suitable walking socks
- Waterproof jacket (tape seam sealed)
- Waterproof trousers (tape seam sealed)
- Warm jacket
- Small rucsack - to carry your lunch and spare clothing
- Gloves and warm hat
- Water bottle (1L minimum)
- Sun lotion/hat
The leader of each group (who must have experience of navigating in thick cloud on mountains and who can use a map and compass) must have:
- 1:25,000 scale map Outdoor Leisure North West OL 4 (the detailed route plan given relates to this map)
- Compass - Whistle - Mobile phone - First aid kit
- Survival bag (plastic six foot by two foot bag, available cheaply in outdoor shops)
In addition, one other member of each group must have the same map, a compass and a mobile phone. Ideally every participant should be wearing a watch.
- Trekking poles
We will see all participants at the end in the Swinside Inn to collect your special edition Berghaus 10in10 performance base layer.
Please aim to do the challenge in no more than 10 hours. We must consider the length of time that the marshals are on the fells. Many thanks.
- You must be physically fit enough to undertake the challenge.
- You must not take part if you have any physical illness which might result in you, or others, being put in danger. If in doubt ask your GP.
- Each participant must pay a £38.00 non-refundable booking fee. Booking fees will only be refunded if your application is not accepted. The event organisers can change to a lower level route at short notice due to extreme weather.
- You are responsible for collecting all sponsorship monies and passing them on to the event organisers promptly.
- Each team must have an experienced leader who has experience of navigating using map and compass.
- All teams must follow instructions from the event organisers and marshals and follow the designated route except where to do so may result in danger.
- If walkers wish to drop out en route they should inform a marshal and follow the escape routes on their map if necessary.
- Every participant has to sign out of the event, whether they finish or not.
- 10in10 event only: There will be a strict cut-off point at Buttermere village at 13:00 hrs (1pm). Any teams or individuals who do not make this time will be instructed to leave the event at this point (you will be required to 'sign out' of the event at Buttermere if you do not make the time).
- Please be considerate of other walkers and members of the public not taking part in the challenge and follow the country code.
- Each participant must have the appropriate equipment for a challenge of this nature
- Entrants must be 16 and over. Each participant under the age of 18 years old must have parental consent to take part in this challenge.
The 10in10 Challenge is for experienced fell-walkers who are also competent navigators. We will provide the necessary map/route guide/gpx file for guidance, but ultimately the responsibility for safely negotiating these walks lies with you. If you are unsure of your abilities to navigate safely on the fells, please consider going with a guide.